Monday, January 25, 2010

The Principle of Compensation

I love the Principle of Compensation. I've talked about it a lot in talks and my Christmas letter, but now I feel the need to talk about it more. In October 2008 General Conference, Elder Wirthlin gave a wonder talk titled, Come What May, and Love it. In this talk he mentioned the Principle of Compensation which is: The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. Elder Wirthlin goes on to say, "that which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude."

When I first started speaking only 7 months after Rob passed away, I knew that all would turn out well. I knew the Lord was watching over my family and this was part of the Lord's plan in our lives. I could see the many blessings we had in our lives and I had a strong faith that everything was going to be fine. As more time continued on, I knew the Lord was still blessing us, but not in the way I had imagined. As I continued to speak and share my testimony, I would testify that all would turn out right, but I was getting a little frustrated that I could not see the Lord's plan for me. I kept thinking back to the Principle of Compensation and I trusted in an Apostle of the Lord that this would be true for me too! I also knew too well that the faithful are blessed, but not always how we imagine or in the way we want. It is understanding that the Lord knows better than we do in life!

I came across a quote from Elder M. Russell Ballard, "through faith we can find peace, comfort, and the courage to endure. As we trust in God and his plan for our happiness with all our hearts and lean not unto our understanding, hope is born. Hope grows out of faith and gives meaning and purpose to all we do. It can give us comfort in the face of adversity, strength in times of trial, and peace when we have reason for doubt or anguish."

This quote explained exactly what I was doing. Trusting in Heavenly Father's plan for me. Having the hope that all would turn out wonderful. And I am here to testify that all has turned out wonderful. Not how I had imagined, but still more wonderful than I ever expected! Having Steve, Hannah and Max come into my life has been a tremendous blessing. I believed I could have joy again, but really experiencing it, is another story. It is truly wonderful! I am so glad that my faith turned into hope. I am glad I trusted in the Lord, instead of doubting His plan for me. We will all have times in our lives where we wonder if the Lord is answering our prayers, if He is listening to us. We will even have times where we have felt our prayers were not answered. Please know, He is there. Continue to have faith, continue to pray and read the scriptures and you will be blessed for your obedience.

2 comments:

Janice said...

love the new picture! what a great family. You have been blessed, and I hope Steve knows he's been VERY blessed:) We are happy for you, but I do miss your smiling face and positive attitude around these parts!:)

Ashley Hawkes said...

Patti, you make me cry. Thank you so much for your amazing testimony. What an inspiration you must be to all those around you! xo