Saturday, June 6, 2009

Tough Love

Another piece to the puzzle of my life will come together now. Let me first start with a story to help everyone get a view into my thought process. When I was 14, I think, I was playing shortstop in a softball game. My dad was the coach, and I believe we were in a championship tournament. A line drive got hit right to my ear. I did throw the girl out, but there was a time out on the field for my dad to come and check on me. I remember my dad saying you're fine, you're staying in the game. And I was like dad I can't hear out of my ear. He looked at me, looked at the dug out and said I am not taking you out, you're fine. But dad I can't hear!! I did stay in the game and learned at an early age to play through any type of pain. Tough love, but I feel I am a better person because of it. (I am positive my siblings have similar stories!) I was thinking about this story this morning as I was running and my knee was KILLING me. I was thinking about how I have learned to keep going no matter what type of pain I may be in. You pick yourself up, don't complain (still working on that part) and finish what you have started. My dad taught me that I can do anything, no matter how hard or how difficult it may seem. It is very easy in life to come up with excuses not to finish the race or to come out of the game. Everything won't be perfect. You may not hear for awhile, your knee might hurt, or your life may not turn out how you imagine, but there is no one else who can finish the game, a race, or life but you.

5 comments:

Combs - A day in the Life of... said...

Patti, that was a terrific post. Thanks for the motivation. I think more people need to hear that and I was one of those people.

PS. My dad was our soccer coach and made my brother play with a broken arm. Okay he didn't know it was broken till after the game but my brother bucked up and played through the pain. I wish he would do that now in his own life.

Greg Searle Family said...

It is obvious you live by this motto every day. I believe it is those times that makes us stronger and able to continue along the path. Great inspiration. Thanx

Janice said...

Amen! And you are a good example of that!

John & Sheri said...

Patti, dad here; yes, the way you described it is perfect. However, what you did not mention is that your team did in fact win the game and the championship. You continued to cry at short stop, during the remainder of the inning, looking over at me and wondering why I would not take you out. The other coaches asked and I told them "It will be good for her to stay in." Just to set the record straight, you were never unconscious and you were not bleeding, simply a little dingy, but what 14 year old is not dingy? Little did I know later on in life I would witness one of the strongest women I have ever known, pull through a devastating experience with grace, strength, and pure devotion to the Lord. It wasn't what I did, it was how you reacted to the position you were placed in. The difference in bold accomplishments and horrible failures is often, simply, the will to preserve. You, my little PS, have shown this over time enough to become an example for me and others to marvel.

The Hammond Holler! said...

Hey Patti Loved your Post...sorry I'm just getting around to reading it. Have you been on my blog latley? I have a good pain perserverence story too during my half marathon race. I loved your dad's comment too! What a great dad you have.