Sunday, February 22, 2009

My Speaking Gig

I had the wonderful opportunity of going to Idaho and speaking at a Best of EFY (Especially for Youth) this weekend. I got to speak in front of about 800 youth and leaders. Adrienne and Jeni were able to make the trip with me and be there for support. The first place I was speaking was Twin Falls, Idaho. We drove there Friday night, with all intentions of going to the temple that evening. But with driving and not having any dinner yet, we all thought it would be best to go to dinner. As we were at dinner I thought a girl the restaurant look liked my freshman year RA. All during dinner I kept looking at her wondering if this was the same person. Granted I was a Freshman 16 years ago, so I didn't trust my judgement too much. When I meal was done, Jeni and Adrienne told me just to go over and find out if it was her. And sure enough it was! She recognized me right away and said that she had just been thinking about me a couple of weeks ago and now here I was talking to her. She was now living in Twin with her husband and three daughters. She asked what I was doing there and I told her I was speaking the next day at a Best of EFY. This got the rest of people's attention at the table, because they were taking their youth the event. Her husband turned and looked at me and said, you don't look like your picture on the flyer. I just laughed and said well there's a funny story behind that picture. He said, we all thought it looked like Sarah Palin. This just made me laugh even harder as I told him the picture was from Halloween when I dressed up as her. I used Kristen's comment and said, ya it's a good thing I wasn't a hooker for Halloween, then the picture would have been really interesting! Long story longer, Kelly my RA came the next day with her husband to hear me speak. After wards it was great to talk to her and know we both needed to be there that day. I do not think it was a coincidence that we were both at that restaurant that night. Why are we surprised when these things happen? When we see Heavenly Father's hands in our lives?

I had a wonderful time speaking. I was almost late for my second speaking assignment in Rurpert, Idaho. I didn't realize how much time it would take me to drive there from Twin. I love sharing my testimony with others. I love telling others how the scriptures can help any one during difficult times. I love the scriptures and can't imagine going through this last year with out there help, guidance and comfort. I want everyone to know our Savior is there for you. One way He answer prayers is through the scriptures as we read and study. Every time I have the opportunity to share my testimony about the scriptures and about Rob, I feel more joy and support. I hope the youth were able to be taught by the spirit this weekend. A scripture in Doctrine and Covenants best explains how this uplifts me when I speak. I am so grateful for the opportunities I have to share my testimony with others. "Wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together." D&C 50:22

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Love it, like always! I bet you were a fantastic speaker! Thanks for uplifting me, again! :)

Janice said...

so sorry I missed it and my friend missed it to. Her husband took her on a "date", enough said:) Glad it went well.

Kathy Lee said...

800 people! No freaking way!*#$! Good for you, Pat Sue! I don't know how you do it. You are definitley your father's daughter!!! (Or you have the gift of gab...)I bet you were AWESOME. I'm glad Adrienne and Jeni got to go to support you, too. Love you! Kath