Monday, March 2, 2009

Dates

Yes, I am coming up on a big "date" this week. Those close to me, know the date, and have been cautiously watching me. I haven't really wanted to make anything big of this date, but the more I try to ignore it, the more I sense its presence. There have been a lot of first "dates" this year; our first Christmas without Rob, first birthdays, and major church/family events. As I think back on all of these, I guess the hardest one for me was our anniversary. No one really knows your anniversary but you and your spouse. No one else has any reason to celebrate the day, but the both of you. For me that date was the hardest thus far. As I said before I have been ignoring the coming date of Rob's death. Why would I want to remember or recount one of the hardest weeks of my life? Why would I want to think about the Fast Sunday one year ago, when I was fasting to know what our future held? The Monday I took Rob to the hospital to get a full body scan to see the extent of how the cancer spread? That he got sick in the car on the way to the hospital and thank goodness Jennifer and Brian were following behind us for help. How much pain Rob was in, yet went on all these appointments for me. How on Tuesday a loving Bishop came to my home and counseled me that Rob was going to die soon. And how I got so mad at him and accused him of asking me to give up and fight for my husband's life. Why would I want to remember that Wednesday morning when Rob wouldn't wake up and I had to make the call to his family and tell them to come as soon as possible?

This is why I want to remember all those days. On Fast Sunday, Sandy Ririe got to come and help Sheri with the twins and Rob. She is someone who loves Rob and wanted to serve him and hadn't had a chance. She was so grateful for the time she had with him. Jenni Anderson bore a beautiful testimony in Relief Society that reminded me that I could find the answer to my fast in the scriptures. Monday, what wonderful friends I have to follow and help me out when I took Rob to all his appointments. Even Jennifer's parents were in town and were so helpful to us. Our friends helped more than anyone could ever imagine. Having my brother and mother come on Monday to be there during my hardest time. My brother who gave insight and support that only he could have given. He was a rock for our family that week. A Bishop who came over and gave the correct counsel in a difficult situation. Wednesday, Rob's Doctor cancelled all her appointments and came strait over to our home to be with us. Robbie had just happened to stay home that day from school. Dr. Liss spent probably an hour speaking with Robbie and answering all his questions that none of us could answer. She saved one life that day, my Robbie who felt peace and understanding in such a difficult time from her answers. I had Jennifer wake up that morning, not knowing what was going on, but knew she needed to be at my home. She came and spent the day caring for the twins and cleaning my home. Heather, who is not a member, also felt the need to come to my home that day wondering how she could help our family. All of Rob's friends were able to come and say good bye. How grateful that all of Rob's family could get to our home to be with him during his last hours. So many blessing in this last week, one year ago. When we think of that week, I would love all to see the tender mercies of the Lord. To see all the wonderful blessings in my family's lives. To see that the Lord does not leave us in our time of need. He is always there, by our sides helping us through our trials. We can either see the Lord's hand in our lives or we can ignore the amazing blessings He continually blesses us with.

11 comments:

J.D. said...

Thank you Patti for taking the time to recapture the Christ-like service from one year ago. What a wonderful perspective. Love you.

hsumama said...

Perspective that only time can grant.

Much love to you and the family, Patti. You are not traveling this journey alone.

Rachel said...

Your family continues to inspire me & I am sure many others. I love the spirit I feel whenever I read your posts.

Elder Jack Anderson said...

March 6th has been etched into my memory as well. We so wish we could be there for the dinner. We will be thinking of you & the kids on that day.

Butters said...

Oh Patti, You are truly amazing! Please know we pray daily for your continued strength. We love you!

Amy Bailey said...

Patti, Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this week. I think of you everyday and wonder how you are handling this. You're strength is amazing. I appreciate so much you sharing this experience with all of us. Know that you will not be alone in your tears and thoughts of Rob this week. We love you!

cathy said...

Hey Patti - I'm happy to have found your blog. We were so sad to hear of Rob's passing. We have some fun memories from the old ward in West Jordan. Anyway, just thought I'd pop in and say hello. Take care.

marcikay said...

this post is reminding me of reading your Caring Bridge entries, and the amazement I felt every time, of your perspective and insight..
Patti, you're amazing & we love you!

Sally Young said...

You are really amazing. Your spiritual strength is a great example to me. You have such a great way at looking at things.
The Lord sends people to help us through our hard times and it sounds like he sent you some pretty amazing people.

Mitchells Sun Valley said...

Patti, I, like you, don't want to remember that week, but I am grateful to have been there to be with Robbie while he reeled when he learned that he was losing his dad & later while he talked with Dr Liss. To hold Jake as his tears flowed when you had to tell him & Ellie the sad news & later while I held Jake on the couch those last few hours of Rob's life. And then I was blessed to be in Rob's presence when he left us. I stood at the door of your home, the receiver of so much love & service from your friends & the ward...it poured in to overflowing. People just couldn't do enough for your family. It was an amazing display of love by earthly angels. I'm choosing to remember the good blessings of that time. Please know there is always a prayer in my heart winding its way to Heaven for you & yours. I am always a thought or a phone call away. Wishing you warm hugs, Mom

Janice said...

I knew it was coming and your thoughts are always uplifting and teaching me. I am so grateful to know you and to be able to learn so much from you. You do have awesome family and friends and Heavenly Father never has left you alone, and never will. You are loved and thought of all the time, but especially this month! I heard a rumor you were coming out...yes? no?