Thursday, March 5, 2009

Different Kind of Service

Jeni asked me months ago if I would speak at her Relief Society's Birthday dinner. Of course I agreed! When I finally wrote the date down on the calendar I was a little taken back, because it was on Wednesday March 4th. I had already committed, so I knew I would have to just make it work. I didn't know what I would be feeling this week, therefore I was a little nervous. But as the date drew closer and as I started preparing my talk, I realized the timing couldn't be more perfect. Instead of focusing on this date and feeling sorry for myself, I was thinking of the wonderful Riverton Ward. I was thinking about their needs and living in such a way to have the spirit with me. And we all know that if you have the spirit with you, you are a little happier. Not that I don't miss Rob, I just could handle this week as I focused on what the sisters in Jeni's ward needed to hear and as I served others. Service is one of the greatest things we can do, to help get us through difficult times. I haven't been able to serve in the typical ways; watching children and making meals. But I hope I am serving others by helping them build their testimonies and understanding the importance of the scriptures and our Savior. Every time I speak, the spirit testifies to me again and again that what I am teaching is true and I strengthen even more. I often feel like I get more out of speaking than the audience. I am so grateful for the different opportunities I am blessed with to share my testimony!

4 comments:

Janice said...

you are blessed and we are blessed to know you! I hope you had a good day and had lots of good thoughts and memories!

Ashlee said...

Thanks Patti, that is awesome!!

Wilson Family said...

Patti-
Came across your blog and was thinking about you today. Like many others. Thanks for your example.Thanks for being strong. Your testimony continues to touch all of us and helps us remember the important things in life. FAMILY IS #1:)Thank you Patti
~Carrie

MakingChanges said...

Patti- I feel blessed to be your friend and get to be a part of your life. Once again you are a wonderful example to me.