Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Festival of Trees

Yesterday, Adrienne, Jeni and I got the privilege of decorating a tree for the Festival of Trees in honor of Rob. Erin was actually the mastermind behind this and did all the ground work for us. We missed having her there helping us, but know she needs to be on bed rest! I was shocked with how emotional it was to decorate our tree. We had asked the kids how we should decorate it, and they said daddy loved Christmas, so decorate it like Christmas. We found out a week before Christmas last year that Rob had cancer. So I think I will always associate Christmas with the biggest change in our lives. This was a great way for us to do something wonderful for Rob and the Children's Hospital.
Our cousin Mandy and Aunt Betsy made the tree skirt. You really need to see the tree in person!

Aunt Cathy watched the twins for us while we were there. She brought them to see the tree. Not the best place for the monkeys to run around.

Here is what we put on the tree...I thank everyone who donated time and money for Rob's tree. We could not have done it with every one's help!


13 comments:

Nikki said...

Patti, the tree is so beautiful. I had no idea about Rob. We are so sorry for your loss! I can't imagine what that must have been like. I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to add you to my links on my blog, so I can keep updated on what's going on with you! I'm just up in South Jordan, so let me know if I can help in anyway! Love you!

kristenhcubed said...

The tree is so beautiful. What a special tribute. I'm sure he's smiling about it.

MakingChanges said...

Beautiful tree- red and green are my favorite Christmas colors. I know the new colors are blue and silver (or maybe that is even out of date) but I love this tree. What a wonderful way for you and your family to remember and honor Rob.

J.D. said...

Patti, for us non-Utahns, what is the Festival of Trees and where is it? We'd love to make a special visit. Thanks.

Combs - A day in the Life of... said...

Great tree! Of course I cried when I read the beautiful letter. Does that wonderful picture of Rob on the phone have any significance?

Patti Epperson said...

The festival of trees is something that is held all over the country to earn money for different charities. Dad said they even had one in McCall. The trees are all donated and then go to auction. Companies usually buy the trees to put in their offices. All the money made from the trees in Utah go to Primary Children's Hospital. The festival is this weekend only at the Salt Palace. The picture of Rob on the phone is one of my favorite. It was taken last Christmas.

Courtney said...

I love how the tree turned out.

Melinda said...

Patti! The tree is awesome! We miss you guys around here...

Bret Bushman Family said...

I love the tree, I love what you wrote on the card, We are planning on going to this on Saturday, I am excited to see it in person, you really did a great job. I love traditional Christmas colors.

Jenandgeoffrey said...

We've been thinking about your family with the holidays rolling around. Many blessing to all of you this season and in the coming year.

Annie said...

Man I can see how that would be emotional. I was crying just reading about it. Please ask me to watch the kids again. I feel terrible. I would love to. Jack would love it too.

Shane & Laina said...

You amaze me, I can't imagine how hard that must have been, but also very cool at the same time! The tree is beautiful!!!

Misty said...

What a great idea! Your tree is amazing. Congrats on earning that much money for the children hospital.