Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Spelling Bee

For those who know me well, I cannot spell. Not at all. Not in the very least. One of the comments I hate the most in my life is: just sound the word out. REALLY, it's that simple? Why didn't I think of that in the first place. If I could sound the word out, I wouldn't be asking you how to spell it! I remember my mom telling me when I was about 10 years old to use a dictionary to find out how to spell a word. My response was, if I knew how to look it up, than I would know how to spell the word. But of course, I do use a dictionary. I have been using the same one all of my life. It has lost it's cover and even certain words are marked that I frequently(I will spell check that word) go to. I knew I was in trouble when I started asking Robbie how to spell words (about two years ago). I believe spelling comes naturally to some. Robbie's spelling ability came from his father and obviously (another spell check) not me! Jake on the other hand, has been taught to use a dictionary like his mother.

At school right now is the spelling bee for all the grades. I can't tell you how much I disliked spelling bees. I hated always being the first one out. I don't think I have ever made it passed the first round. Robbie came home from school yesterday (Robbie often reminds me he taught me how to spell that word) a little bugged. He won his class spelling bee and now he has to be in the school competition. What could he possibly mad about that? He said only nerds to good in spelling bees. Now while this is true (that what first round outers say) it is still awesome for Robbie. I said, hey if you do good, this might be your only chance to be on ESPN. I know Robbie doesn't like to lose, so sometimes he doesn't want to try so he doesn't lose. I told him to read over the list of words they gave him and the rest is luck, getting the words you know.

If you get a chance watch this video from one of our favorite comics Brian Reagan! That is if I can figure out how to post it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1cYS6aGstU

2 comments:

kristenhcubed said...

Oh, my gosh! My stomach hurts from laughing. That's hillarious. I gotta check out more of his stuff. Too funny.

Andrea said...

I am also the worst speller! Samuel has started asking me how to spell easy words and I'm already messing them up, I've got to get a pocket dictionary.